- Provides a comprehensive review of both groundbreaking technology as well as applications in the field of smart sensors
- Discusses trends as well as fundamentals and analytical perspectives on some underlying technologies
- Examines developments in electronics, photonics, mechanics, chemistry, and biology with applications in engineering, healthcare, industrial production, defense, military, and communications
- Includes contributions from international experts
- Contains more than 320 illustrations
Sensor technologies are a rapidly growing area of interest in science and product design, embracing developments in electronics, photonics, mechanics, chemistry, and biology. Their presence is widespread in everyday life, where they are used to sense sound, movement, and optical or magnetic signals. The demand for portable and lightweight sensors is relentless in several industries, from consumer electronics to biomedical engineering to the military. Smart Sensors for Industrial Applications brings together the latest research in smart sensors technology and exposes the reader to myriad applications that this technology has enabled.
Organized into five parts, the book explores:
- Photonics and optoelectronics sensors, including developments in optical fibers, Brillouin detection, and Doppler effect analysis. Chapters also look at key applications such as oxygen detection, directional discrimination, and optical sensing.
- Infrared and thermal sensors, such as Bragg gratings, thin films, and microbolometers. Contributors also cover temperature measurements in industrial conditions, including sensing inside explosions.
- Magnetic and inductive sensors, including magnetometers, inductive coupling, and ferro-fluidics. The book also discusses magnetic field and inductive current measurements in various industrial conditions, such as on airplanes.
- Sound and ultrasound sensors, including underwater acoustic modem, vibrational spectroscopy, and photoacoustics.
- Piezoresistive, wireless, and electrical sensors, with applications in health monitoring, agrofood, and other industries.
Featuring contributions by experts from around the world, this book offers a comprehensive review of the groundbreaking technologies and the latest applications and trends in the field of smart sensors.